People have been asking, "Can I use shaving cream for sunburn relief?" For a long time, the answer was no. However, recently scientists found that the menthol in a shaving cream can provide some level of relief when applied to the skin. This is because it has cooling properties and will help reduce inflammation.
Benefits of using shaving cream for sunburn:
1) The menthol in shaving cream has a cooling effect
- The relief will help to reduce inflammation
- It is easy to apply and can be used all over the body
How do I use it?
Shave as normal. Rinse off your blades, then take some of your regular shave cream or gel and rub it into the skin. The menthol in the shaving cream will immediately provide relief!
2) It is easy to apply
- The shaving cream can be applied all over the body if needed.
- It doesn't need any special preparation before use, such as diluting it with water or alcohol. You just have to shave and then rinse your blades.
What are some of the dangers?
While there are many benefits, using shaving cream for sunburn relief can be dangerous in some cases.
- It may not provide enough protection to the skin, so it is important that you wait a few hours before applying shaving cream after a burn or as an emergency treatment.
- If there are open wounds on your body and you use shaving cream, then bacteria from the wound will be able to enter the shaving cream and cause a secondary infection.
- Shaving cream can also dry out your skin, leaving it more susceptible to sunburns in the future because of a lack of hydration.
- Certain times when you should avoid using shaving cream for sunburn relief are: after a burn or as an emergency treatment if there are open wounds on your body and the razor is applied to those areas.
What can I use instead?
If you want something that will protect more of your skin, try using a moisturizer with SPF. Moisturizers are available for the face and body, so you can choose which type to use based on the sunburn or burn severity.
- Moisturizers with SPF will provide more relief than shaving cream because they act as both an ointment and sunscreen.
- A lotion or ointment may be a better option for use on the face because it won't clog pores, and they are less likely to have irritants in them.
- Acetaminophen is also called Tylenol, which can provide relief for many types of pain, including sunburns when taken orally or applied to the skin.
- Aloe vera is a plant that can provide relief from itching and pain caused by sunburns when applied directly to the skin or taken orally in tea form.
- Lemon juice typically contains high levels of vitamin C, which helps with healing wounds and repairing tissue damage
If you have minor sunburns, then shaving cream could be a good option. It may not provide as much relief as some other options. It is important to pick the best shaving cream that has enough sun protection as well.